The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill will host its third annual Global Entrepreneurship week November 17-22.
Keynote speakers and panelists will include the founders of Frontline SMS, kiwanja.net, Building Educated Leaders for Life, Old Skool Café, A10 Clinical Solutions, re:char and EcoScraps. All are examples of how entrepreneurship and innovation can change the world of health, food, education, technology, agriculture, climate change, economic development, work force and even sustainable wine growing.
Events throughout the week include:
- “How Entrepreneurship Can Change the World”: World and nationally renowned social entrepreneurs share their entrepreneurial journeys and introduce forward-thinking ideas in technology, education, health and youth development. Date, Time and Location: Monday, Nov. 17, 5:30 – 7:00 p.m., Nelson Mandela Auditorium, Fedex Global Education Center.
- Entrepreneurship Networking Event: A showcase of the Triangle’s startups and social ventures and some reverse pitches to identify market opportunities. Date, Time and Location: Monday, Nov. 17, 7:00 – 8:00 p.m., Atrium, Fedex Global Education Center.
- “Saving the Planet Through Entrepreneurial Approaches”: World and nationally renowned social entrepreneurs share their journeys and introduce forward-thinking ideas in agriculture, food waste recycling and sustainable winegrowing. Date, Time and Location: Tuesday, Nov. 18 6:30 – 7:45 p.m., Kenan Center Dining Room at Kenan-Flagler Business School.
- “Ideation for Impactful Solutions”: Led by an expert on design thinking, this workshop will enable participants to practice human-centered design thinking methods. Date, Time and Location: Wednesday, Nov. 19 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., 1789 Venture Lab, 173 ½ E. Franklin Street.
- Get Pro-Bono Help!: Free accounting, legal, business mentorship, communications and strategic advice for your startup or social venture. Date, Time and Location: Monday Nov. 17 – Wednesday Nov. 19 at various times, Launch Chapel Hill, 321 W. Rosemary Street.
- Annual Pitch Party: If you’re a UNC student, staff, or faculty member with an idea you’d like to pitch, this party, hosted by the Carolina Challenge!, is for you. Network with an impressive slew of judges and mentors and meet other students who might be interested in joining your venture team. Date, Time and Location: Thursday, Nov. 20, 5:30 – 8 p.m., Blue Zone at Kenan Stadium
- Young Alumni Entrepreneurs Paving Their Own Path: Hear the lessons young alumni entrepreneurs have learned along the way, the realities of running their own ventures, the ups and downs and what makes it all worth it. Date, Time & Location: Friday, Nov. 21, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., 1789 Venture Lab, 173 ½ E. Franklin Street.
- Impact Boot Camp, Shark Tank Style: Win the Impact Prize!Have an idea for an innovation, a product, a startup, a non-profit organization, or an initiative that seeks to solve a problem and create social or environmental change? Sign up to receive real time feedback from expert judges who will serve as coaches during this one of a kind impact bootcamp. Date, Time and Location: Saturday, Nov. 22, 9:00 a.m. – Noon, 1789 Venture Lab, 173 ½ E. Franklin Street.
Events are all free and open to the public; tickets can be obtained on the website’s list of events.
Launched by the Kauffman Foundation, Global Entrepreneurship Week is the world’s largest celebration of innovators and job creators who launch startups. More than 7 million people from 140 countries engage in the week every year.
For more information, see www.gewunc.com
Published: November 13, 2014