Nominations are due for the University Awards for the Advancement of Women on Feb. 13 at 5 p.m.
The annual award recognizes Carolina women and men (faculty, staff and students) who have contributed to the advancement of women in one or more of the following ways:
- Elevated the status of women on campus in sustainable ways;
- Helped to improve campus policies affecting women;
- Promoted and advanced the recruitment, retention and upward mobility of women;
- Participated in and assisted in the establishment of professional development opportunities for women; and/or
- Participated in and assisted in the establishment of academic mentoring for women.
Each year the University presents the awards to one faculty member, one staff member, and one undergraduate/graduate student/postdoctoral scholar. A committee of faculty, staff and students from across campus review the nominations and select the award recipients. Faculty and staff recipients each receive $5,000 and the undergraduate/graduate student/postdoctoral scholar recipient receives $2,500. Awardees are honored in a ceremony during the Carolina Women’s Center’s annual Gender Week Celebration in the spring.
The Carolina Women’s Center manages the award process on behalf of the Offices of the Chancellor and the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost. To learn more about the center, visit womenscenter.unc.edu.
By Susan Hudson, University Gazette
Published January 26, 2015